BENEFITS OF ALKALINE FRUITS
You’re here for one of two reasons.
One: you realise how important it is to keep a healthy lifestyle and you know how alkaline food (alkaline fruits specifically) plays a crucial role.
You’ve done the research and now you are ready to look at which foods can help balance your body’s pH balance.
Two: you’re curious. You have heard ‘all this talk’ about alkaline fruits and foods and how it’s the answer to better health. But you are not convinced.
And that’s OK. In this age of information-overload you have every right to be sceptical about anything and everything.
Rest assured, we at Metabole Wellness carry your best interests at heart.
We are just as passionate about your wellness as we are about our own. And with over 20 years of experience and over 20,000 success stories on record, we can confidently say… Trust us!
Whatever your reason for visiting, we commend you for exploring this important topic.
Too busy to read the article right now? We understand – download your FREE copy of the 5-Minute Guide for Busy People instead. It covers the most important aspects of this article and gives you a simple action plan to start living a healthier life today.
THE DANGERS OF INCORRECT pH LEVELS
“Wait… Why are we talking about pH levels, Metabole? I came here for a list of alkaline fruits and to read about their benefits.”
Well, as mentioned above, we live in the age of information-overload. We want to make sure your knowledge of pH is spot-on.
Also, maybe you haven’t read up on the important topics of pH and pH balance.
You might be someone who knows you need to balance your body’s pH, but you do not understand what pH is.
Even if you do understand, we encourage you to read on – maybe you’ll learn something new.
We want you to leave here empowered with new knowledge to share with your loved ones tonight or tomorrow, or maybe over the weekend.
If you want someone to tell you, “do this and eat that because I say so” then please feel free to stop reading right now. This is not a “because I say so” website.
When we decide a certain topic is important to share, we have a good reason. And we want you to know what that reason is – because we believe in educating our valued community of readers.
That being said, if you are confident about your knowledge of pH, please click here to skip to the section on the benefits of alkaline fruits.
If you want to learn more about pH and the importance of keeping a healthy pH balance, read on.
LET’S START BY EXPLORING THE DEFINITION OF pH
“pH” stands for “the power of hydrogen” or “the potential of hydrogen”. It is a measurement of the hydrogen ion concentration in our bodies.
The pH scale ranges from 1 to 14 (or from 0 to 14, depending on who you ask, but whether it starts at 0 or 1 is not really that important).
Thanks to DaleDarley.com for the image
1 is completely acidic and 14 is completely alkaline.
The numbers in between represent the different degrees toward an acidic state or an alkaline state.
7 is a neutral state, in which case your body is equally acidic and alkaline.
NOW LET’S LOOK AT pH BALANCE
The ideal pH level for us humans is between 7.35 and 7.40. This is because our blood (and thus our bodies) thrive in a slightly alkaline state.
When the value of a person’s pH levels fall below 7.35 he/she is considered as having acidosis.
When the value rises above 7.4 he/she is considered as having alkalosis.
Thus we can conclude that balance is the answer. And that’s where alkaline fruits (and other foods) come in. But before we talk about alkaline fruits, let’s explore acidosis and alkalosis.
WHAT IS ACIDOSIS?
When your body fluids contain too much acid, it’s known as acidosis. Acidosis occurs when your kidneys and lungs can’t keep your body’s pH in balance. Many of the body’s processes produce acid. Your lungs and kidneys can usually compensate for slight pH imbalances, but problems with these organs can lead to excess acid accumulating in your body.
The acidity of your blood is measured by determining its pH. A lower pH means that your blood is more acidic while a higher pH means that your blood is more basic. The pH of your blood should be around 7.4. According to the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC), acidosis is characterized by a pH of 7.35 or lower. Alkalosis is characterized by a pH level of 7.45 or higher. While seemingly slight, these numerical differences can be serious. Acidosis can lead to numerous health issues, and it can even be life-threatening.
There are two types of acidosis.
Respiratory acidosis results from too much CO2 (carbon dioxide) in the body. This occurs when the lungs are having trouble getting rid of excess CO2 due to different reasons:
- chest injury
- thumbs-o-down obesity (because it makes breathing difficult)
- thumbs-o-down muscle weakness in the chest
- thumbs-o-down too much alcohol use
The above list is not exhaustive.
Metabolic acidosis starts in the kidneys. They enter your body into a state of metabolic acidosis when they either can’t get rid of enough acid or they get rid of too much base. This happens for different reasons:
- kidney failure
- thumbs-o-down dehydration
- thumbs-o-down diabetes
- thumbs-o-down aspirin or methanol poisoning
The above list is not exhaustive.
The symptoms of both respiratory and metabolic acidosis overlap. But the causes of the symptoms vary. Overlapping symptoms include:
- fatigue and/or drowsiness
- thumbs-o-down confusion
- thumbs-o-down headaches
- thumbs-o-down short breath and shallow breathing
The above list is not exhaustive.
Thanks to DrAxe.com for the infographic
WHAT IS ALKOLOSIS?
Alkalosis occurs when your body has too many bases. It can occur due to decreased blood levels of carbon dioxide, which is an acid. It can also occur due to increased blood levels of bicarbonate, which is a base.
This condition may also be related to other underlying health issues such as low potassium, or hypokalemia. The earlier it’s detected and treated, the better the outcome is.
Early symptoms of alkalosis are varied and can include:
- thumbs-o-down nausea
- thumbs-o-down prolonged muscle spasms
- thumbs-o-down muscle twitching
- thumbs-o-down hand tremors
As alkalosis gets worse, you may experience:
- thumbs-o-down difficulty breathing
- thumbs-o-down confusion
- thumbs-o-down coma in severe cases
The list of symptoms is not exhaustive.
WHY IS A BALANCED pH LEVEL SO IMPORTANT?
The short answer: your body is constantly in a battle to maintain the absolute perfect pH balance.
It will literally rob you of all your internal resources just to keep that pH balance in check.
Why? Because if your pH balance falls or rises just a little from where it’s supposed to be, you will die.
It’s that important.
HOW DO I DETERMINE MY pH LEVELS?
Dr Daryl Gioffre from Alkamind wrote a valuable article dedicated to this topic. We encourage you to take the time to read it and to act.
Click here to read the article.
If you live in South Africa, contact us and we’ll walk you through everything you need to know.
Thanks to DrAxe.com for the infographic
DOES FOOD INFLUENCE MY BODY’S pH LEVELS, AND WHY?
Yes, food influences your body’s pH levels.
Like most substances on earth, different foods also have pH levels which range from acidic to alkaline. This is why food influences your body’s pH levels.
So eating foods with high acidic levels will make you more acidic, and eating alkaline foods, such as alkaline fruits, will make you more alkaline.
Sounds easy enough, doesn’t it?
Though it sounds straight forward, many people have fallen into a trap. The reasons for this is that they only consider the acidic/alkaline levels of food “as is”.
In other words, few people ever stop and ask, “how does this food’s chemical structure change once it enters my body?”
We’ll talk about this in the next section.
The best method anyone can use to balance their pH is their diet. You should eat lots of nutrient-dense, alkaline fruits and other plant-based foods. Furthermore, you need to drastically limit your intake of processed foods.
Apart from eating the right food, you need to consider your lifestyle. Sleep patterns, stress levels, and medication all influence your internal pH levels.
THE TRUTH ABOUT ALKALINE FRUITS
Would it surprise you to know that a lemon leaves your blood in an alkaline state once it has been metabolised?
This is because a food’s pH value lies in the residue it leaves in the body once it has been metabolised, and not in its physical properties.
These misleading “facts” stem from the common method medical scientists use to determine a food’s pH levels.
They use the PRAL (Potential Renal Acid Load) method – they burn food into fine ash and measure the pH balance of the ash. There’s nothing wrong with the method per se – it has wonderful clinical applications.
But it’s a bad measurement of food pH because it fails to take sugar (fructose in the case of fruit) into account.
Fructose, a form of sugar, is highly acidic when metabolised.
Most fruits are not alkaline fruits at all.
Alkaline foods are high in minerals and low in sugar. The same is true for alkaline fruits. If it contains high levels of fructose, it will cause acidity in your body once you eat it.
It’s because of this major misconception that we focus on fruit in this article.
Most pH food charts will list almost all fruits as being alkaline fruits.
You’ll be surprised to know how little fruits are alkaline-forming inside your body.
WHERE CAN I GET AN ACCURATE FOOD CHART?
Thanks to GetOffYourAcid.com for the image
Dr Daryl Gioffre from Alkamind writes:
…That’s why my chart is the MOST accurate Alkaline / Acid Food Guide that you will find.
We couldn’t agree more. We have examined his food guide, and it exceeded our expectations.
In fact, we were so impressed with his Ultimate Alkaline/Acid Food Guide that we asked him whether we could present it to our valued community of readers.
The team at Alkamind was kind enough to agree.
If you are serious about changing your lifestyle and incorporating real alkaline foods into your diet, head over to Alkamind to get your FREE copy of the Ultimate Alkaline/Acid Food Guide now.
SO WHICH FRUITS ARE TRUE ALKALINE FRUITS?
The top alkaline fruits are:
- thumbs-o-up Coconuts
- thumbs-o-up Lemons
- thumbs-o-up Limes
- thumbs-o-up Pomegranates
These are the top alkaline fruits because they contain high levels of minerals (and other nutrients) and low levels of sugar.
SHOULD I STOP EATING ALL THE OTHER FRUITS?
Absolutely not. Other fruits such as apples, pineapples, bananas, and berries are still high in certain nutrients your body needs.
You can still enjoy 1 to two servings of your favourite fruits every day. The ‘trick’ is to not overeat. If you eat too much fruits with high sugar content together with your regular diet, your body will become acidic.
AvocadoNinja.co.uk writes the following about becoming alkaline:
This is not as difficult or as technical as it sounds. When we talk about starting an alkaline diet, we are referring to consuming those foods and drink which have an alkaline effect on the body. This effect is based upon the mineral content of the food and therefore the alkaline or acid effect this has on the pH of the body. Some foods have an acidifying effect (usually those containing sugars, trans fats, dairy, preservatives, sweeteners, chemicals etc), whereas others have an alkaline effect. Conveniently for us, it just so happens that the foods that contain alkaline minerals (and leave an alkaline effect) are all the foods we already know are good for us: low sugar foods, fresh alkaline vegetables, nuts, seeds, salads, sea vegetables, water rich foods, etc. And for the foods that contain minerals that have an acidic effect? You guessed it, sweets, alcohol, trans fats, meats, dairy, pizza, cola, biscuits, chips, white breads and pastas, refined foods, processed foods, etc.
Of course, everybody is different – but most of us should aim to eat 70-80% alkaline forming foods and a maximum of 20-30% acid-forming foods.
This does not have to be measured in calories, grams or anything technical, just look at your plate! Is 70% of the food on it alkalising? And for the other 30%? You can do with this what you like (how acid is up to you – dependent upon the results you want), but feel free to go for some oily fish, wholemeal pasta or wild rice for example.
BENEFITS OF ALKALINE FRUITS, AND A GENERAL ALKALINE DIET
HEALTH BENEFITS OF AVOCADOS
- Aids in weight-loss
- thumbs-o-up Reduces symptoms of arthritis
- thumbs-o-up Causes general health improvement
- thumbs-o-up Protects your eyesight
- thumbs-o-up Highly beneficial for foetal development in pregnant women
- thumbs-o-up Protects the liver from disease
- thumbs-o-up Improves oral health
- thumbs-o-up Helps us to live longer
- thumbs-o-up Good for bone health
- thumbs-o-up Promotes wound healing
- thumbs-o-up High in fibre
- thumbs-o-up Improves your mood
HEALTH BENEFITS OF COCONUTS
- High in amino acids and protein
- thumbs-o-up Good source of dietary iron
- thumbs-o-up Reduces body fat in the abdomen
- thumbs-o-up Good source of potassium
- thumbs-o-up Easy to digest
HEALTH BENEFITS OF LEMONS
- Improves oral health
- thumbs-o-up Treats indigestion
- thumbs-o-up Excellent source of hair and skin care
- thumbs-o-up Controls blood pressure
- thumbs-o-up Fights throat infections
HEALTH BENEFITS OF LIMES
- Excellent source of vitamin C
- thumbs-o-up Antibiotic properties
- thumbs-o-up Anti-cancer properties
- thumbs-o-up Detoxifies the body
HEALTH BENEFITS OF POMEGRANATES
- High in antioxidants
- thumbs-o-up Soothes muscles pains
- thumbs-o-up Helps to lower bad cholesterol levels
- thumbs-o-up Anti-Ageing properties
HOW YOU CAN BENEFIT FROM A GENERAL ALKALINE DIET
According to DrAxe.com, Alkaline diet benefits include:
1. Protects Bone Density and Muscle MassYour intake of minerals plays an important role in the development and maintenance of bone structures. Research shows that the more alkalizing fruits and vegetables someone eats, the better protection that person might have from experiencing decreased bone strength and muscle wasting as they age, known as sarcopenia.
An alkaline diet can help balance ratios of minerals that are important for building bones and maintaining lean muscle mass, including calcium, magnesium and phosphate. Alkaline diets also help improve production of growth hormones and vitamin D absorption, which further protects bones in addition to mitigating many other chronic diseases.
2. Lowers Risk for Hypertension and StrokeOne of the anti-ageing effects of an alkaline diet is that it decreases inflammation and causes an increase in growth hormone production. This has been shown to improve cardiovascular health and offer protection against common problems like high cholesterol, hypertension (high blood pressure), kidney stones, stroke and even memory loss.
3. Lowers Chronic Pain and InflammationStudies have found a connection between an alkaline diet and reduced levels of chronic pain. Chronic acidosis has been found to contribute to chronic back pain, headaches, muscle spasms, menstrual symptoms, inflammation and joint pain.
One study conducted by the Society for Minerals and Trace Elements in Germany found that when patients with chronic back pain were given an alkaline supplement daily for four weeks, 76 of 82 patients reported significant decreases in pain as measured by the “Arhus low back pain rating scale.”
Thanks to DrAxe.com for the infographic
4. Boosts Vitamin Absorption and Prevents Magnesium DeficiencyAn increase in magnesium is required for the function of hundreds of enzyme systems and bodily processes. Many people are deficient in magnesium and as a result experience heart complications, muscle pains, headaches, sleep troubles and anxiety. Available magnesium is also required to activate vitamin D and prevent vitamin D deficiency, which is important for overall immune and endocrine functioning.
5. Helps Improve Immune Function and Cancer ProtectionWhen cells lack enough minerals to properly dispose of waste or oxygenate the body fully, the whole body suffers. Vitamin absorption is compromised by mineral loss while toxins and pathogens accumulate in the body and weaken the immune system.
Research published in the British Journal of Radiology showed that cancerous cell death (apoptosis) was more likely to occur in an alkaline body. Cancer prevention is believed to be associated with an alkaline shift in pH due to an alteration in electric charges and the release of basic components of proteins. Alkalinity can help decrease inflammation and the risk for diseases like cancer — plus an alkaline diet has been shown to be more beneficial for some chemotherapeutic agents that require a higher pH to work appropriately.
6. Can Help You Maintain a Healthy WeightLimiting consumption of acid-forming foods and eating more alkaline-forming foods can protect your body from obesity by decreasing leptin levels and inflammation, which affects your hunger and fat-burning abilities. Since alkaline-forming foods are anti-inflammatory foods, consuming an alkaline diet gives your body a chance to achieve normal leptin levels and feel satisfied from eating the amount of calories you really need.
Alkaline fruits and foods are a powerful means of restoring your body’s pH balance.
In fact, food and lifestyle are always the number one step toward better health and overall wellness.
However, in today’s world, we are dealing with all kinds of environmental toxins people didn’t have to deal with a few hundred years ago.
Metabole Clinic is in a beautiful and isolated rural area. But even out here we are not immune to those toxins. And because of that we need to supplement.
If you are looking for a 100% natural, reliable, and safe pH balance supplement, have a look at our Advanced pH balance.
Which fruits would you add to this discussion? We’d love to read your thoughts and opinions in the comments section. PS… we’re real people. We promise to read every comment and to answer any concerns you may have.
AUTHOR: MELISSA NIEMANNFreelance writer & Artist
Please share this article with your loved ones.
METABOLE ADVANCED pH BALANCE(ONLY AVAILABLE IN SOUTH AFRICA)
- Restores the pH of the intracellular fluids surrounding the cells as well as the cells themselves by removing hydrogen ions, thereby correcting the pH of the whole body
- Helps restore pH to normal levels thereby preventing both acidosis and alkalosis
- Provides a source of potassium ions which are normally deficient in modern Western diets
- NO artificial ingredients
METABOLE-APPROVED WELLNESS PRODUCTS(AVAILABLE INTERNATIONALLY)
The Ultimate Detox Bundle
Organic Broccoli Sprout Powder
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The information provided on Metabole Wellness is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. The information on this website is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. Never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on MetaboleWellness.com. Products sold and promoted on this website are for personal use and not for resale, and have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Please note that Metabole Wellness promotes products from other natural health and wellness providers. Please regard any links provided on this website as affiliate links. We may earn a small commission whenever you choose to purchase a product through any of the links we provide on this website. Please read our full affiliate policy here.